Te Kura provides education based on the New Zealand Curriculum to students travelling or living overseas from Year 1-13, offering personalised flexible programmes to meet the individuals interests and specific needs.
Overseas students enrol for a variety of reasons - they are on exchange, elite athletes, ballet dancers, children of parents working overseas, or possibly they are travelling the world with their family.
Our students juggle busy lives, and manage to be very successful with their education.
Who can enrol
To enrol as an overseas student you must be:
- aged between 5–19 years old (but not turning 20 during the year of enrolment)
- a New Zealand citizen or a permanent resident (having resided in New Zealand for two consecutive years or more)
- able to meet one of the full-time overseas eligibility criteria as set out by the Ministry of Education’s enrolment policy.
How you’ll learn
Teaching is delivered online through My Te Kura, our online learning environment, and supplemented with other online education providers. We teach using a mix of online modules and other resources such as quizzes, audio and video files, as well as activities to complete away from the computer.
Find out more about online learning.
If you’re not enrolled with us yet, we recommend you check out the My Te Kura showcase. Take a look at a sample of our online programmes, to see how Year 1-13 students learn in My Te Kura.
NCEA students sitting exams
Examinations for externally assessed achievement standards can be sat overseas if you meet certain conditions:
- are living overseas at the time of NZQA exams in New Zealand (early November to December)
- are enrolled as a full-time student or fee-paying overseas student
- can meet all the requirements of NZQA, such as arranging suitable supervision.
Overseas exams are sat in mid-October and arranged through Te Kura. You cannot sit New Zealand Scholarship exams overseas. More information is available on the NZQA website.
What you’ll need
To learn online we recommend:
- a suitable device that enables you to access the internet and My Te Kura
- a broadband internet connection with a data plan of at least 30GB
- access to a printer and scanner.
See our checklist for a full list of recommended equipment to learn effectively online.
How to apply
After you’ve checked that you’re eligible, you can enrol online or download an enrolment form.
Go to Enrol now to get started.
Contact our Overseas team if you have any questions or need further information before enrolling.
Phone: +64 4 473 6841, ask for the Overseas Manager or team leaders